Thursday, September 2, 2010

Crestwood Elementary 5th Grade

Yes, that is me...second to the right on the front row. That is my special "picture outfit" I put together. Dress from "Belles and Beaus Boutique", shoes from Kempners Shoe Store. Hair by ... me (trying to look like a model I saw in Seventeen, parted down the middle and slicked down.) My friend, Nancy (sitting to the right of me), posted this on Facebook. Now, Nancy and I haven't seen each other since our freshman year of college at Arkansas State University. (Actually, we saw each other briefly once at a church event in North Little Rock, Arkansas...my hometown.)


But this classroom picture brought up lots of memories, which I will share: This is my 5th grade class. That is Mrs. Ballard, our teacher. Mrs. Ballard saw something in me that other teachers did not. Probably my lack of motivation during math, science, english, etc. was a big RED FLAG! Mrs. Ballard assigned me to design and construct the classroom bulletin boards. I got to go to the teacher's supply room and pick out borders and background paper, prepare all the artwork and put it up. After she gave me the basic concept for the board, I had full reign! Amazing! It was the highlight of my elementary school years! Of course, I had some help...Nancy helped, as well as Betsy (third row, second to the right). We were quite a team! I wonder if the other kids remember this? I'm sure they were quite jealous of my job. haha


Isn't it funny??? Mrs. Ballard knew what I was supposed to do, long before I did. I'm essentially doing the same thing now, 40 years later!


2 comments:

Catherine said...

I love this story! A little intuition goes a long way.

Have a great time in Minneapolis...let me know if your travels ever bring you to the east coast :)

Anonymous said...

I LOVE THIS STORY